Factors like environmental impact, reuse, and sustainability are increasingly becoming focal points of major construction efforts and renovations, particularly in the US where projects can benefit from Leadership in Energy and Environment Design, or LEED, certification. Much of the emphasis in LEED project certification is placed on saving and repurposing existing buildings, for their materials and for their pre-developed connections to existing community systems. Additionally, by retaining and incorporating a pre-built structure, a LEED project ensures less waste, pollution, and effort is needed throughout construction and beyond. Masonry Solutions International has experience on multiple LEED projects, employs LEED Accredited Professionals, and offers solutions to meet current LEED standards.
Masonry Solutions International can offer the following LEED-oriented services:
- Building preservation and strengthening for adaptive reuse, regional priority achievement*
- Recycled materials for anchoring, coring, and injection materials sourced from regional sources
- Non-toxic, organic injection materials - eliminates the need for harmful and dangerous epoxies as well as the need for sealants or other waterproofing chemicals by ecologically creating a good vapor barrier. Aids in thermal efficiency and comfort as well
- reCycle™ water capturing equipment, preserves resources and eliminates runoff throughout the project
- Hollow injection anchorage reduces plastic associated with tubes, waste reduction in construction ie-water looping for coring equipment, waste materials recycling, etc.
- MSI and its work maintain a low carbon footprint
With MSI’s help, a LEED project can achieve several additional LEED credits, in categories including:
- Materials & Resources
- Indoor Environmental Quality
- Innovation in Design
* Regional Priority
A typical regional priority in many areas is to re-use up to a certain percentage of the building already in place. Find out more by visiting http://www.usgbc.org/rpc
and entering your project’s location to determine if there are such regional priority credits available.